Project: Public Service Announcements
What is a PSA?
Public Service Announcements are very short videos or audio recordings that try to convince people to pay attention to something, think differently, or behave a certain way. Tell someone about a species of concern in your area, motivate others to look for a species, raise awareness of how people unintentionally move species to Maine, .... endless!
How do I make one?
1. Watch famous "flashback" PSAs or VS community PSAs for inspiration:
- Smokey the Bear
- Crash Test Dummies
- Brain on Drugs
- VS Tools of the Trade
- Have yourself a Bittersweet free xmas
- Go for it! Do Vital Signs!
- Bullies versus benefactors
2. Use the HOW-TO GUIDE below to script a 30- or 60-second video or podcast
3. Put your video or podcast on YouTube, Vimeo, VoiceThread, or Podcast Alley
4. Paste the link to your video in the Project Bank
5. Share that convenient Project Bank link with your target audience!
How To Map Out Your PSA
- Create awareness of a problem
- Show that a problem is important
- Convey simple forms of new information about a problem
- Promote a change in behavior
- Provide information to people who can influence behavior change in others
- Visual effects
- Scare tactics (often backfire!)
- Something else! __________