Institutes & events
*August 18-19, 2016 - Vital Signs Next Steps Institute- Change Over Time Data Investigation and Management Projects - Email email@example.com to be added to the list.
*September 30, 2016 - Vital Signs Intro Institute- Express Interest Here
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details on any of these upcoming opportunities.
Try out one of our anywhere, anytime PD modules to get started and dive deeper into VS:
Vital Signs Starter Module
Vital Signs Biodiversity Data Investigation Module
Vital Communities Module
We’re always interested in meeting Maine educators who want to transform how students learn science.
Each year we invite more educators to join the 100+ already contributing to Vital Signs’ statewide effort to engage, challenge, and mobilize students to contribute to an authentic science research effort. Institutes, workshops, and webinars happen throughout the year.
Vital Signs has truly transformed my teaching... Vital Signs has given meaning to field work. Data collected by students is important and actually used. Feedback from real scientists who use the data is given to students. No better way to incorporate NGSS in my opinion.
Institutes offer educators firsthand experience with all components of the Vital Signs program from framing issues and research questions to data collection, peer review, data analysis, reflection, and final project creation. Each day offers a chance to work collaboratively with fellow educators from around the state, sharing time, energy, and ideas. Educators will meet scientists, citizen scientists, and other educators active in the Vital Signs community, and will be prepared for active participation themselves. Institutes allow time to explore, do, play, reflect, and create a personalized action plan that guides implementation.
- Connect your students with the scientific community
- Experience inquiry and other essential elements of scientific practice
- Become familiar with Vital Signs technology, standards-aligned curriculum, and community resources
- Do authentic field work in freshwater and coastal systems
- Understand how to incorporate Vital Signs into your current curriculum or program
- Collaborate and network with similarly-inspired teachers throughout Maine, including 100 already participating in and advising Vital Signs.
Perks (always subject to change)
It's incredible to see and hear from the scientists who are involved in this project we are undertaking. I love their passion and enthusiasm for science and inquiry!
Teacher Institute 2009
- Field equipment to borrow while you’re active with VS
- Ongoing support from the VS team and community of educators
- Contact Hours
- Lodging for those from away
- Mileage for those traveling
An Institute in your future?
If you sense an Institute in your future, tell us about yourself and we’ll send you Institute announcements direct from us to your inbox. Send us:
- Your name
- Your email
- Your school or organization
- The grade(s) and subject(s) you teach
- A short and sweet statement about why you’re interested and how you think your students might benefit
See you soon!